Detroit-Fort St. Union Depot
Express Rail Service from Detroit & Port Huron  

 

 

 

Arial view of F.S.U.D.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    Detroit, Michigan - 1957 Population 1,849,528 - Aerial view of Fort Street Union Depot looking east.  Fort Street is on the far left.  The depot is in the upper left with the passenger sheds below on the left.
    West Jefferson Avenue runs through the middle of the photo and separates Merchandise Row on the left and the Michigan Central Freight Yard on the right.  The Detroit River is on the far right.
     This photo was apparently taken in the early fifties based on the length of the newer train sheds (appear white just below the original sheds). (Three prototype photos -
from C & O Historical Society)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sixth St. Tower

6th Street Tower

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo above (click image for larger photo) - Fort Street Union Depot in 1954.  The "Pere Marquette" pulled by C&O E8 #4024 leaves F.S.U.D. bound for Grand Rapids. The Sixth Street Tower is on the left in this photo.  The Sixth Street Tower controlled all train movements from F.S.U.D. Photo right taken in 1950. (C&O Historical Society)

 

 

 

Fort Street Union Depot

 

 

Wabash E8 #1005

1957 Wabash E8

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click image for a larger photo.

 

1957 Wabash E8

 

 

 

 

View of Fort Street Union Depot as modeled on the PH&N RR. We are just east of the yard throat. Backdrop (right) is made up of HO DPM modules and kitbash structures. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Detroit Skyline January 1, 2012

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2002 photos of an old tower located a few blocks south of Fort Street along the MC - NYC - Wabash tracks from the old Fort Street Union Depot. Left - Back side of tower, Below - Street side of tower. (Dave Held photos)

 

 

Fort St. Tower 2002

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fort St. Tower 2002

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo right - a similar structure as it might have been in 1958 on the PH&N RR. The tower was scratch build from styrene with Grandt Line windows and door. The stair case was constructed from a Kaw Valley Models kit.