Detroit-Milwaukee Junction
GTW Engine Terminal in Detroit  

 

 

 

Milwaukee Junction

Above - Milwaukee Junction on the PH&N RR. Below - Prototype photos of Milwaukee Junction as it was in 1981. The sand towers and fueling facilities were still in use.  Steam was long gone as was the roundhouse and service facilities that supported the steam era. The machine shop portion of the roundhouse was still used, probably for storage (visible behind the fuel and sand towers.  Freight rail traffic into Detroit had been dropping steadily, and  SEMTA, the local transit line that ran from Brush Street Station in downtown Detroit, through Royal Oak, and on to Pontiac was being phased out.  By 1980 the bulk of the rail traffic ran east, west and north of Milwaukee Junction.      All photos by David Held.

 

PM Berk 1225

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo Left - Pere Marquette #1225 passes through Milwaukee Junction and past National Can on it's way to the PM/C&O yard in Detroit.

 

 

 

 

 

Click model image for larger photo.

 

 

Acme Paint

 

 

 

Photos left and below taken in 1994 - Geeps idling at the sanding facilities waiting for an assignment. Acme Paint Factory is in the background.

 

Sand Tower

 

 

 

 

Acme Paint

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sand Towers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photos left and below - Locomotive service facilities still standing but unused when these photos were taken in 2002. The GM Poletown Plant, opened in 1985, is visible in the background.

 

 

Sand Tower